Tuesday, December 11, 2007

Video Essay



Watching this video, Cupid Shuffleby Cupid, reminds me of our family reunions we had when I was younger. Seeing the people dancing in the streets reminds me of when we would first arrive at the family reunion. We would get out and someone would be grilling, someone would set up the games for the kids and then there would be a dj setting up his booth in the corner of the dance floor. The people dancing in the video remind me of when the whole family would decide to do the electric slide and there would always be one person that thought they were able to sing and could not. Then there would always be one person who would always want to lead the dance and then screw it up. This song always brings my family together to start the party off right. The people just remind me of a big family, which I have because my mom has 12 borhters and sisters, having a good time. Even at weddings we play it and this May when my brother got married it was this song and another that got both families together and helping each other learn the moves and we also did the electric slide which almost everybody knew.




When I first heard "No Daddy" by Tearra Mari I immediately fel in love with it. I love the message of this video, especially because of the fact that I was raised mostly by my step dad instead of my real father because my parents divorced when I was really young. Seeing the mother and daughter arguing at the beginning about the moms boyfriend reminds me of when me and my sister would not listen to my mom especially when it came to things that had to do with out step father. I especially love the lyrics the song. It sends a positive message to girls who never hear that from anyone in their lives. When the girls are sitting in the classroom, it reminds me of myself from sixth grade up until tenth. That is when I got into the most trouble in school and most of the incidents had to deal with me arguing with a teacher or doing something I was not suppose to be doing while in class. My sophomore year was the worst because me and some of my friends made our english 10 teacher quit teaching at the end of the year, but me and my cousin were kicked out of the class and put into a different english class.




Animal I have become by Three Days Grae is one of my favorite videos because it shows that everyone has a darker side to them. This relates to me becuase most people see me as a cheerful person. But, don't get me wrong I am a nice person and cordial to most, I can be very vengeful and full of spite towards people who rub me the worng way. The darker side of me comes out when someone irritates me or crosses me. I don't trust people very easily and I only confide in those who have gained my trust. I am the type of person that doesn't really show that much emotion but I can turn from calm and serene to a person full of vengence in a second if someone comes at me in any way that I feel is threatening or if I dont like a person. A lot of people think that I am a bitch if they see me walking or at least in my hometown but once they get to know me they find out i cna be a great person, but I can also change to the attitude where I could care less when someone does pisses me off.




Pink's video for Get the Party Started takes me back to when I was growing up in Norfolk. Britany, my cousin, and I were inseperable seeing how we are only two months apart in age. She was and still is always by my side. We were two peas in a pod and always getting in trouble together or getting others in trouble. WE have gone through so much together and share everything. We love going road tripping together with a few of our friends and being able to tell each other everything. I can honestly say she knows more about me than any of my other friends. And, when Pink is getting dressed in her closet, that just seems like a typical weekend or tuesday night when it would take us forever to get ready to go out. I'm pretty sure we will continue to do everything together for the rest of our live.









As i sit and watch the video for Get Me Bodied by Beyonce, it brings me back to this summer when the song fist came out. I along with my cousin and a few of my frinds were obsessed with it. I remember every Tuesday night a bunch of us and our group would go to The Depot, which is a club in Norfolk, and walk into it and start dancing. We would go to our usual spot, sit down, and eventually start dancing. Everybody would always stop and look into our corner and watch and see what dance moves we were doing especially if it was a new one and then they would try to copy us. But, when this song would come on me and my cousin couldnt wait to dance to it. We always cleared a spot where we could dance and nobody would be in our way and just wild out as we called it. We knew every word to this song and every dance move that Beyonce did, but we couldn't wait until the end when they did just the dances, but they would never play the full song and so we would always end up mad because we would be ready to do them.




Listening to the Spice Girls song Goodbye is such a sad song and so is the video because this is the last video they made before they broke up and it reminds me of my senior year of high school and the last days of summer when I had to say goodbye to everyone. It was one of the hardest times in my life becuase I was leaving my comfort zone to set out on a new path and go on with my life. The different images attest to the fact that each of the girls are moving on with their lives and that is how it was for us. When I left for college I left my security blanket of home not to mention that this summer was also a time for adjustment for me because my family moved to California. I left behind friends that were still in high school as well as family and my hometown even though I always complain about it, I like the safety of being there. I also like the fact that while I am here in Lincoln I have friends from back here going to UNL and I have made more and I also love being in a bigger town and not being around the same people and having everyone know your business.

No comments: